Q I live in Morristown, New Jersey. How do I know if my condition makes me eligible for Social Security Disability benefits?
To qualify for Social Security Disability benefits, you have to have sufficient work credits based on your age and the day you became disabled. Additionally, your disability must meet one of the Social Security Administration's (SSA) listing of impairments. It's important to note that the SSA's lists are categorized by body system and are different for adults and children. A New Jersey Social Security Disability attorney can evaluate your situation more closely to help you determine if you have a valid claim and what benefits you are eligible for.
Eligible medical conditions include, but are not limited to:
- Musculoskeletal – soft tissue damage, amputations, disorders of the spine;
- Loss of senses – speech , hearing, and visual acuity;
- Respiratory – cystic fibrosis, asthma, chronic persistent lung infections;
- Cardiovascular – chronic heart failure, recurrent arrhythmias, congenital heart disease;
- Digestive system – chronic liver disease, inflammatory bowel disease, short bowel syndrome;
- Hematological – chronic anemia, sickle cell disease, hemophilia;
- Endocrine – hypoglycemia, thyroid and adrenal gland disorders;
- Neurological – epilepsy, brain tumors, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis;
- Mental – schizophrenia, autism, mental retardation, anxiety disorders; and
- Immune system – scleroderma, lupus, HIV infection, inflammatory arthritis.
If your medical condition is not included on any of the SSA's lists, the SSA will then determine whether your condition is equal to one that is on their list.
Get Help with Your Claim Today - Contact our Social Security Disability Attorney
If your claim for Social Security Disability benefits or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) has been denied, ask to speak with a Morristown disability attorney at the Law Office of Manfred F. Ricciardelli Jr. We can help you file an appeal right away. We can help also help you file a new claim and gather the medical evidence you need to build a solid case. Call (973)-285-1100 today for a no-cost consultation.