The construction industry is among many different work sites that are federally regulated by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Although OSHA is tasked with defining and enforcing safety rules, construction accidents still happen. If you or a loved one has been injured or died at the workplace, contact a Morristown NJ Workers’ Compensation lawyer.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), nearly 20% of worker fatalities occurred on construction sites in 2010. This is a remarkably high number that involved a wide range of accidents, but most accident fall under four categories.
The four most common types of accidents include:
- struck by an object; and
- caught in-between heavy objects or machinery.
OSHA will conduct worksite inspections and will issue citations and penalties for violations. Fines can reach up to $7,000 for each serious violation and $70,000 for each willful or repeated violation.
Inspections are conducted on a priority basis:
- imminent danger situations that could cause death or serious injury;
- when fatalities occur or when three or more employees are hospitalized;
- anonymous complaints made by employees;
- referrals by federal, state, and local organizations or the media;
- follow-ups to ascertain previous violations have been properly amended; and
- planned investigations of workplaces with a history of injuries and illnesses
Protect your Rights by Consulting with a Morristown NJ Workers’ Comp Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed while working on a construction site, you do have rights. You may be entitled to various Workers’ Compensation benefits such as medical treatment and lost wages. If another party other than your employer was responsible for the accident, you could be entitled to other types of compensation that will go above and beyond the benefits provided for Workers’ Compensations.
Since 1992, Manfred F. Ricciardelli Jr. has specialized in Workers’ Compensation law. With a background working as an attorney for a major insurance company in the Workers’ Compensation department, Mr. Ricciardelli has a unique perspective on insurance company defense tactics. To schedule a complementary consultation, call 973-285-1100 today.