A few years ago, you fell off a ladder and broke your hip. You underwent surgery and months of physical therapy and made a full recovery. Unfortunately, your pain-free existence was short-lived, as you started having problems walking a few months ago. Now you can’t make it out the door without two crutches or a walker.

Even though you work at a desk, you still have difficulty performing your job duties. The pain from sitting becomes so much that you have to get up and move, but walking is extremely painful as well. You can’t afford to quit, but the pain is just too much.

You May Qualify for Social Security Benefits Through Residual Functional Capacity

Social Security doesn’t have a specific listing for hip degeneration; however, some people qualify under the joint dysfunction listing. If you are not one of them, you may still be able to receive benefits through Residual Functional Capacity (RFC). RFC measures a person’s capabilities. A disability claims examiner and a medical consultant will work together to examine your potential exertion level and how your condition affects your mental state.  They will look for the following:

  • Exertion levels. The RFC may determine that you aren’t able to perform your current job duties, but can still work doing other things. What you are qualified to perform is based on your diagnosed exertion level: sedentary, light, medium, heavy or very heavy.
  • Mental RFC. Along with your physical state, the RFC will also measure how your disability affects you mentally. For instance, if your pain or discomfort prevents you from being able to concentrate and work up to your ability, that information is also considered when making a decision.

We Can Help

The Social Security process is complicated, confusing, and frustrating. Attempting to seek benefits on your own is difficult, and the legal team of Manfred F. Ricciardelli, Jr. can help.

Contact us today to speak with an attorney about your situation and to learn how we have helped many in the New Jersey area receive the benefits they deserve.


Manfred Ricciardelli
Connect with me
Morristown Workers' Compensation Lawyer
Great article. Thanks for the info, very helpful. BTW, if anyone needs to fill out a “2008 SSA-4734-BK, [08-2008]”, I found a blank form here: "www.secure.ssa.gov" and also here "form functional capacity"
by jolly July 31, 2015 at 11:18 AM
Post a Comment