When someone you love is unable to work, the consequences can be harrowing. But if he or she is unable to control personal finances, the task may fall to you to collect social security payments on your family member’s behalf.

In order to do this, you must become a representative payee on your family member’s account. As a payee, your duties will include collecting funds, using benefits to pay for costs of care, and keeping records of all expenses to provide to the Social Security Administration.

Benefits should be used to pay for your relative’s current physical and emotional needs, such as:

  • Food items, including groceries, market goods, and restaurant meals 
  • Clothing and shoes
  • Shelter, including rent and upkeep of the beneficiary’s living conditions
  • Utilities such as heat, water, electricity, and gas
  • Medical expenses and dental care
  • Personal comfort items such as padding, braces, supports, or cushions
  • Any reasonable needs not included above

Social security payments may also be used to provide other amenities, such as outings or an allowance of spending money to the beneficiary. If there is money left over, after all of your family member’s needs have been provided for, you will be responsible for saving or investing the remaining amount for his future care. The important thing to remember is that, as the payee, you will be responsible for using all social security funds in your relative’s best interests.

The legal team at Manfred F. Ricciardelli, Jr. can help you understand the rules and regulations of collecting social security checks on someone else’s behalf. Call us today at (877) 360-0183, or fill out the contact form on this page to receive a FREE consultation with a New Jersey Social Security disability lawyer. Also, click the link above to download our FREE electronic book, What the Injured Worker Needs to Know: Your Workers Comp Guide.

Manfred Ricciardelli
Connect with me
Morristown Workers' Compensation Lawyer
Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment