Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 877-360-0183
Phone: 973-285-1100
Manfred F. Ricciardelli Jr., LLC
Call 973-285-1100
Toll Free 877-360-0183

Are there special workers’ comp benefits for federal employees working in New Jersey?


Yes! Depending on which agency you work for and what condition you have suffered, you may be able to get additional funds to treat your injury and help pay for medical bills while you recover. Federal government employees working in New Jersey who have suffered extreme difficulties as a result of their jobs—such as nuclear power employees or coal miners—may be able to receive permanent benefits.

What Kinds of Workers' Compensation Can Federal Employees in NJ Get?

  • Division of Federal Employees' Compensation – Provides workers’ compensation benefits to federal and postal workers who suffer occupational disease injuries in the course of their employment.
  • Division of Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation – Provides coverage to all U.S. Department of Energy employees, contractors, and subcontractors who are injured or suffer an illness while working with nuclear weapons. The program provides lump-sum benefits as well as medical benefits to former and current nuclear weapons workers and death benefits to families of deceased workers.
  • Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act and Defense Base Act – Covers maritime workers on U.S. property as well as injured contractors working overseas on behalf of the U.S. government.
  • Division of Coal Mine Workers' Compensation – Also known as the Federal Black Lung Program. Provides benefits and compensation to coal miners who have suffered complete disability through coal dust inhalation (pneumoconiosis). The program provides eligible miners with ongoing medical coverage to treat the disease and its symptoms, and provide pensions to surviving family members of coal miners who died as a result of the condition.

Families of governmental employees can get many different types of benefits depending on the branch their loved one worked for. In addition to these programs, police and firemen are covered under state life insurance and death benefits, and in many cases may still be eligible for certain state workers’ compensation programs.

You should find out as soon as possible what your loved one could be owed after an injury—as some benefit programs have a very short window to apply for and collect benefits. Find out which programs you may be eligible for in our downloadable booklet: What the Injured Worker Needs to Know: Your Workers Comp Guide.

Manfred Ricciardelli
Dedicated To Helping You

Live Chat