Q How can my employer protect me from the dangers of violence on the job as a taxi driver?
While taxi drivers can suffer injuries from car accidents and repetitive motions, one of the biggest dangers they face at work is being the victim of violence. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), taxi drivers are 20 times more likely to be murdered while on the job than other workers. Risk factors that make being a taxi driver so dangerous include:
- Carrying cash, making them a target of a robbery
- Working alone, often in isolated areas
- Working at night and in poorly lit areas
- Working in high crime areas
- Transporting people who are often intoxicated
How Can an Employer Keep Taxi Drivers Safe From Violence?
Taxi companies have a duty to protect their taxi drivers’ health and safety. These employers should take measures that would reduce their drivers’ risks of being the victim of a crime. The following steps would make taxi drivers safer:
- Installing barriers between the taxi driver and passengers to reduce robberies, injuries, and deaths
- Installing security cameras within the taxi to discourage violent and criminal behaviors and to record the perpetrator if an incident occurs
- Utilizing security alarms to enable taxi drivers to safely request help
- Having taxis equipped with GPS systems that allow for identifying the location of the driver if necessary
- Increasing the lighting in the taxi so the driver can see what passengers are doing
- Using credit card payments to reduce the amount of cash the taxi drivers carry while working to discourage robberies
- Training taxi drivers on how to handle violent situations and other challenging behaviors exhibited by passengers
Are you a taxicab driver who was the victim of violence while working? You may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits to pay your medical bills and lost wages. However, you may need to fight to obtain the benefits you are entitled to. Start an online chat or call our office to schedule a free consultation to learn how workers' compensation attorney Manfred Ricciardelli can assist you.