When employees picture an on-the-job injury, they often think of a fall from a ladder or a slipped disc from lifting heavy items. However, there are countless victims who suffer from an internal injury—one that has no outward marks of the turmoil going on inside.
Workers who are suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD, may seem like the “lucky ones” who escape being permanently harmed by a work accident. But these people are also victims, suffering from psychological injuries that often prevent them from sleeping, concentrating, or living a normal life.
Check yourself for the following symptoms of a psychiatric work injury in New Jersey:
- Inability to fall asleep
- Anxiety or panic attacks
- Inability to talk about the accident
- Nightmares or sudden flashbacks to the accident
- Emotional changes, such as anger or irritability
- Detachment from family and friends
- Becoming jumpy or easily startled
- Inability to relax or sit still
- Being afraid to leave the house or be alone
- Avoiding social situations
- Trouble concentrating or remembering things
- Experiencing extreme nausea when you think about the accident
- Using drugs or alcohol to cope
- Violent, self-destructive, or obsessive compulsive behavior
Victims may also experience physical symptoms of PTSD as their bodies attempt to cope with the stress. These may include headaches, ulcers, vomiting and diarrhea, as well as extreme fatigue. In some cases, the body cannot handle the stress of the incident, responding with high blood pressure and an eventual heart attack.
The legal team at Manfred F. Ricciardelli, Jr. wants you to know that there is help for your condition. Many victims are able to get treatment for their emotional condition, allowing them to return to daily life. This vital treatment is also expensive, and some employers will attempt to deny or delay rightful compensation for psychological injuries.
We can get you the payments you need to recover, and you will not pay us anything unless we win your case. To get started on your FREE consultation, call us today at (877) 360-0183 or click the link on this page to download our FREE electronic book, What the Injured Worker Needs to Know: Your Workers Comp Guide.