Will Your Disability Payments Be Affected by the New Jersey Social Security Shutdown?
You may have heard that the Federal Government is in shutdown until a budgetary agreement can be reached for the new year. What you may not have realized is that due to the shutdown, New Jersey Social Security field offices may be closed or open with limited services.
The good news is that Social Security and Supplemental Security Income checks will continue to be paid during the shutdown with no lapse in payments, and offices will remain open to conduct hearings before an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ). However, Social Security card centers will be closed until further notice.
Not Affected by Goverment Shutdown
During the shutdown, Social Security offices nationwide will still provide the following essential services:
- Assist disabled workers in applying for benefits
- Process appeals requests
- Accept change of address or direct deposit information requests
- Process death certificates for benefits
- Change citizenship status
- Replace missing benefits payments
- Send critical payments
- Make changes to a representative payee
- Process changes in Social Security Income accounts
Social Security Services Affected by Goverment Shutdown
Social Security offices will NOT be able to provide the following services:
- Provide new or replacement Social Security cards
- Issue or replace a Medicare card
- Provide a proof of income letter for tax or legal purposes
- Issue benefit verification paperwork
- Make corrections or updates to a beneficiary’s earnings record
- Accounting services for representative payees
- Program integrity services—such as continuing disability reviews, redeterminations, or overpayments
- Accept requests for Social Security Number verifications
- Information on prisoner activities
- Accept requests or queries from third parties
- Requests protected under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
- Public relations requests, training activities, and technology enhancement or upgrade processes
NJ Social Security disability attorney Manfred F. Ricciardelli, Jr. knows how frustrating it can be to have your daily life overturned due to a government crisis. That’s why we offer disabled worker advocate services at no cost to you. Call us today at (877) 360-0183 to get answers to all of your legal questions in your FREE consultation, or click the link above to download our FREE electronic book, What the Injured Worker Needs to Know: Your Workers Comp Guide.