NJ Workers May Be Eligible for Many Types of Social Security Disability Protection
If you have been injured and are unable to work, you are likely exploring every option to bring in extra income. Your family is no longer able to depend on you for support, and you need regular monthly payments to keep a roof over your heads.
You may have already applied for Social Security disability in New Jersey, but what you may not know is that the Social Security program provides many different types of benefits--and that disabled workers may be able to receive multiple monthly payments.
Major types of disability protection Social Security affords to injured NJ workers:
- Disabled worker benefits. These are monthly disability payments for employees and their families. To be eligible, workers must have previously held jobs that paid into Social Security and be expected to have a disability that will keep them out of work for a year or more.
- Benefits for the needy, blind, or disabled. Blind and disabled workers (or blind and disabled children) may qualify for additional monthly benefit payments under the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program.
- Benefits for a disabled widow(er). Divorced surviving spouses who are disabled and between the ages of 50-59 may be entitled to the deceased ex-spouse’s insurance benefits.
- Disabled child benefits. Disabled children of disabled workers are entitled to their parents’ disability or retirement benefits even after the parent has died. These benefits are payable as early as age 18. While there is no upper age limit for these payments, the child must have become disabled before his 22nd birthday to be eligible.
- Medical insurance. Workers may qualify for additional assistance through Medicare to pay for hospital and medical bills.
- Prescription drug benefits. Injured employees may be able to get reimbursed for the cost of medications relating to their ongoing injury.
While there are many different kinds of disability payments available, the Social Security Administration has strict limitations on who is eligible for benefits. To find out how much you and your family could receive each month, call Manfred F. Ricciardelli, Jr., today at (877) 360-0183 to get answers during your FREE consultation. You can also click the link above to download our FREE electronic book, What the Injured Worker Needs to Know: Your Workers Comp Guide.