Starting Your Social Security Disability Application? Read This First!
It’s hard to know where to begin when you’reapplying for Social Security benefits in New Jersey. There seems to be an endless number of forms to fill out, with so many questions you may not be sure how to answer.
Many people feel overwhelmed when filling out a Social Security disability application. In fact, many are so overcome that they leave out vital pieces of information, delaying their benefits by weeks or months until the application is complete—and postponing the income payments they sorely need.
In order to get your benefits approved quickly, make sure you have the following information in front of you as you begin your application:
- Identification information. Your Social Security number, banking information, proof of age, and other personal details must be clearly entered and double-checked for errors.
- Work history. Be as detailed as possible when filling out your employment information, workplace summary, and description of your job duties.
- Medical history. You will need to provide dates for all appointments and hospital stays related to your injury. If you are taking medication for your injury, you must list the names and dosages of all the medications and how long you have been taking them.
- Family information. Your spouse may also be eligible for benefits. If they are, you can include them on your application, but you will need their identification and a proof of marriage.
- Additional forms. You must include a copy of your most recent W-2 tax form, as well as copies of your medical records, such as lab results, x-rays, or other diagnostic tests. If you were in active military duty, you will need to attach a Military Service discharge form.
Unfortunately, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Applying for your benefits is a long and harrowing process, and many claims are delayed due to inaccurate or incomplete information.
Our Morristown Social Security disability attorneys can help you get your application processed quickly. We can help you track down missing documents, phone numbers, and medical records, and comb through your application to make sure you haven’t left anything out.
Call the law offices of Manfred F. Ricciardelli, Jr., today at 877-360-0183 or fill out the form on this page to schedule your free, one-on-one consultation, or click the link on this page to download our free electronic book on New Jersey Workers' Compensation Law, What the Injured Worker Needs to Know: Your Workers Comp Guide.